'The Cottage'

Date:
1816 
Creator:
John Fleming, Artist 
Object Number:
3.8045

Summary

Robert Burns was born in this humble cottage in Alloway on 25 January 1759. He lived here until 1766 when the family moved to nearby Mount Oliphant Farm.

The cottage was built by Robert’s father, William Burnes, in the 1750s. It was originally a ‘but and ben’ design consisting of two rooms divided by a bed and partition. William later extended the cottage to include two additional rooms, the byre and barn.

The Cottage was later purchased by the Ayr Incorporated Shoemakers, who rented the cottage to various tenants. By 1816 the building was being used as an ale-house and an extension was built on the left side of the Cottage.

This oil painting by John Fleming, dating from this time, clearly shows the extension which is now demolished.

Bookmark and Share
Back to top